Re: How to stop the 'beeps'

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Morbo wrote:

> My motherboard has a built in speaker, which can be very annoying,
> especially while I'm using my computers while others are sleeping.
>
> Is it possible to stop the terminal windows from beeping every time I press
> tab where there are multiple
> matches etc.?

Other beeps such as email arriving was waking my wife up at night, so I
set the beep parameters in the gnome preferences somewhere. Below they
show up in xset. You may find that a quiet beep is preferable to turning
it off altogether.

timshel:~$ xset -q
Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
  auto repeat delay:  660    repeat rate:  25
  auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                        fa9fffffffdfe5ff
                        ffffffffffffffff
                        ffffffffffffffff
  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  62    bell duration:  51