Re: I've done it! Wanted SMP now I get Kernel Panic!

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Alexander Wallace wrote:

> Like a good newbie that I am, I did not do a backup on purpose, unless
> there is one done automatically I don't think I have one :(

Nope.  Not done by default.

Here's an example lilo.conf to work with, when you install a new kernel,
do this:

mv /boot/zImage /boot/zImage.bak
mv /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/zImage.bak
lilo

This assumes that you're compiling on your own, and you keep your main
kernel at /boot/zImage and a backup image at /boot/zImage.bak.  Adjust
as necissary.

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda2
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
vga=normal

image=/boot/zImage
#       append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
        label=Linux

image=/boot/zImage.bak
#       append="hdd=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"
        label=Backup
        optional

> All I have is a debian cd that I can boot from, open a shell, mount
> whatever... It does have scsi support 'couse I can mount /dev/sda and all
> that...

Boot with that CD, read the instructions on how to use it as a rescue CD
for a system with a SCSI root partition.

> What can I do now? Thanks!

There's probably some kernel option not set right.  Good luck!

--
Baloo