Re: I've done it! Wanted SMP now I get Kernel Panic!

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Alexander Wallace wrote:

> So I went and got the latest stable kernel (1.4.12) at www.kernel.org and

Latest is 2.4.12, not 1.4.12.

> Then when I rebooted I got: a lot of errors, it looks like the scsi
> drivers didn't load and I get a kernel panic becouse root can't be
> mounted...

Did you compile the correct disk drivers and filesystems in?  You can't
module out boot-critical drivers or filesystems.

> Question: Can I boot in some way that I can recompile the kernel and try
> to get the scsi drivers I need (AIC 7880)? I already tryed Linux Single
> and the same errors happen...

Did you back up your old kernel someplace that lilo is aware of?  Do you
have a Debian rescue disk that is SCSI aware?

--
Baloo