I've done it! Wanted SMP now I get Kernel Panic!

Hello there! I've done it this time... I had a nice potato system on my
IBM PC 325 which had 1 processor, I found another 266 PII for 15 bucks in
ebay so I decided to add it and add smp....

So I went and got the latest stable kernel (1.4.12) at www.kernel.org and
ran all
the good stuff:

make menuconfig
dpkg clean
dpkg (with all the kernel image stuf)
dpkg -i (and the deb here)

ran lilo
rebooted...

Then when I rebooted I got: a lot of errors, it looks like the scsi
drivers didn't load and I get a kernel panic becouse root can't be
mounted...

Question: Can I boot in some way that I can recompile the kernel and try
to get the scsi drivers I need (AIC 7880)? I already tryed Linux Single
and the same errors happen...

Please advise!

Thanks a lot!