gnome slowdown

hello,
	after i finally solved my sound problems in gnome, the bugger is
gnawing at my nerves again.. now it slows down in a very haphazard
manner.. first of all it seems to start up slower than before..
secondly, applications might load normally but then take minutes to shut
down.. or they "sleep" for some 15 seconds or so before they continue..
the whole thing is very slow to respond most of the time.. i'm on
testing and i recently upgraded X to the infamous 4.1-7 release and my
kernel to 2.4.10-686 and i wonder whether anyone else is seeing this
kind of problem.. the machine (a pII-350 with 256M) isn't the fastest on
the planet but it was much more bearable before..

thanks,
	frank.