rebuilding kernels without make-kpkg clean?

Hello,

What can one do if one just built a kernel, immediately realizes one
forgot e.g. your sound driver, and want to rebuild the kernel. I am a
bit hesitant to just delete the stamp files. I just don't want to
recompile things that are already compiled... The docs are quite adamant
that one should run make-kpkg clean unless you know what you are doing.
So I want to find out what I'm doing... ;)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe