Help: SB16 & 'potato'

  Okay, I know it's been asked a million times before, probably, but anyone
know of a step-by-step guide to getting a Soundblaster 16 to work under
'potato'?  Starting with what modules do I have to put in kernel when first
installing the system, and with what options, and ending with "You now have
sound."

  [and, if anywhere in the process are the words "recompile the kernel", you
might as well just shoot me now. :]

 work every day and has a job to do."    [Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"]