printing commands comparision

I know that Unix has 2 main printing systems : SysV and BSD.  One has
'lpr' (and others) and the other has 'lp' (and others).  IIRC 'lpr' is
the BSD-style.  What is the real difference between these two systems?
I have CUPS as my printing system and (at least for a while) only the
SysV commands were in the packages.  I just checked and the cups-BSD
package no longer conflicts with cups.  Anyways, I was wondering which
was "better" (by some definition of better, please include your
defintion in replies) and why most programs default to using 'lpr'?
This was annoying for a while when only 'lp' was available.

TIA for your comments,
-D