Re: Mozilla 0.9.5, font sizes

on Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 08:45:06AM -0800, Christopher S. Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu) wrote:
> I just moved from Mozilla 0.9.4 to 0.9.5 and noticed that it doesn't
> seem to be respecting font sizes.  For example,

  <example snipped>

> Shows up with all fonts being the same size except the last two lines,
> which is a bit larger.

Frankly, this IMO is a feature, not a bug.  What with so many websites
utterly fucking up their font settings (the size attribute is IMO a
gross mistake), I'd frankly prefer *all* text be shown at *one* size.

I've experimented a little with stylesheets to set font characteristics.
What I haven't found is how or where the specification of the base size
of some given font scaling factor should be.  The standard calls for a
step differential of (IIRC) 20% bewteen an two factors.  I find that 5%
or less works far better -- it provides sufficient hinting of font
sizes, while ensuring legibility at all sizes.

Scaling, say, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 points, would be more than
sufficient.  Final control should lie with the user, not the website
author.

I've messed some with userContent.css, but still haven't found where the
step scaling is configured.

Anyone know how this is set?

Peace.