Re: illegal to link against python 2.x?

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 13:45:08 +0200, Timo Blazko Boewing wrote:
> On the glimmer website (glimmer.sourceforge.net) I read that it requires
> Python. However, the author states that it is "illegal" to link against
> versions 2.0 and 2.1. Is python not GPL comliant?

>From python2-base's /usr/share/doc/python2/README.maintainers.gz :

   According to the FSF, the Python 2.x license is not compatible with
   the GPL.

   Consequences are that the FSF considers distributing packages like
   python-gdbm a violation of the GPL. The owner of the copyright of the
   GPLed work (FSF in the case of gdbm) might sue Debian for distributing
   such a package.

   Therefore, if you're going to package something for use with python2-*,
   it's your duty as package maintainer to check that license of the
   code used in the package is compatible with the Python 2.x license.

   If you're uncertain, please contact the author of all involved code,
   and ask him if he considers use with Python 2.x a legal use of his
   code.  If he's positive, ask him to include a note in the license to
   clarify this [THIS HAS TO BE WORKED OUT, cf. the proposed KDE notice.]

> I cannot find any license hints on > python.org, so what is it licensed to?

See /usr/share/doc/python-base/copyright and
/usr/share/doc/python2-base/copyright

HTH,
Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,