Re: What packages do I need to be a NFS server?

On Tue Oct 16 10:32:15 2001 Dave Sherohman wrote...

>On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 08:38:03AM -0400, Stan Brown wrote:
>> I'm trying to use a potato machien as an NFS server. I have installed:
>>
>> nfs-common
>> nfs-server
>>
>> And I have no /etc/exports file, nor nfsd, at least "which nfsd" doesn't
>> find it.
>>
>> Do I need some other package?
>
>No.  /etc/exports is a list of which directories you want to share
>(export) via NFS.  This is extremely system-specific, so it can't
>reasonably come from a package.  You have to create it yourself.  See
>man 5 exports for information on this file's format.

Right, but on another Debian system that I checked, _something_ had
creaated a templeat fiel there.

>As for the NFS daemon, the executable is named rpc.nfsd rather than
>just nfsd.

Figured that out. But it still does not work. Seems like I remeber Linux
needing some special flag to make bfs work the way the rest of the world
works. Ring any bells?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.