modutils won't install on testing

My last apt-get upgrade tried to upgrade modutils and then bombed with
the following message:

Setting up modutils (2.4.10-3) ...
depmod: Unexpected value (20) in '/lib/modules/2.4.9-686/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/sbp2.o' for ieee1394_device_size
        It is likely that the kernel structure has changed, if so then
        you probably need a new version of modutils to handle this kernel.
        Check linux/Documentation/Changes.
dpkg: error processing modutils (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
Setting up bsdgames (2.12-9) ...

 modutils

... or maybe I need a new version of kernel to handle this modutils? :-)

Does this mean it's expecting me to have upgraded my kernel to 2.4.10?
Is there some compelling reason for me to do so? (I know about the big
VM changes and am not particularly interested for now).
I hadn't planned on upgrading from 2.4.9 until ext3 was included in the
Linus kernel.

TIA