Printing

I'm a newbie.
I've just installed Debian and I can't work out how to print.

I've looked up the man pages and I've looked at my /etc/printcap file,
but I don't know what changes I'm supposed to make.

When I print, all the connections work - the printer spews out words
that look like program instructions and they are stepped down across the
page.

I am using Star Office 5.2 and it offers a dialogue for printer setup,
but I don't know what I should write.  I have a Canon Bubble jet BJC
255SP, but I don't know how to change the setting from "Generic
Printer".

I have the feeling I've missed something really obvious...??