Re: Cannot print at all (Canon S400 + CUPS)

dman wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 11:26:48PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> |
> | This is the first time ever that I have difficulty printing on
> | Linux.  Weird.
> |
> | Bootup reports:
> |  parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
> |  parport0: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven operation.
> |  parport_probe: succeeded
> |  parport0: Printer, Canon S400
> |  lp0: using parport0 (polling).
> |
> | Yet, nothing happens if I even cat a file to /dev/lp0 :
> |
> |  $ cat logo.gri > /dev/lp0
>
> This means the problem is in the parallel connection somewhere.

Well, it work in Windows so it's not the cable itself.

> It looks like your CUPS setup is correct, at least it sent the job
> through the filters and tried to send it to the device.
>
> | What is error status 32?
>
> I don't know, but from your comment above I think it means the
> parallel port isn't working.
>
> You should see stuff (though maybe not useful stuff) if you cat a file
> (try a plain text file) to the printer device.  I reallly don't know
> what the problem is since the boot messages look like it found the
> hardware.

>            You do have the printer plugged in, right (just checking
> the basics)?  Do you have the 'lp' module loaded in addiiton to
> parport and parport-pc?

$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
parport_probe           3632   0 (autoclean)
parport_pc              7536   1 (autoclean)
lp                      6192   0 (autoclean)
parport                 7968   1 (autoclean) [parport_probe parport_pc lp]
nls_cp437               3904   2 (autoclean)
vfat                    9680   1 (autoclean)
fat                    30848   1 (autoclean) [vfat]
es1370                 22336   0
soundcore               3056   4 [es1370]
3c59x                  19936   1

:-|
Thanks!

Peter