Re: Dillo (Web-Browser Recommendation)

on Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 12:30:03PM +0200, "Jürgen A. Erhard" (jae@jerhard.org) wrote:

>     Karsten> I agree that it's a useful "quick-shot" browser, and it
>     Karsten> definitely fills a niche.  With c'n'p, frames, SSL, and
>     Karsten> cookies, it's ready for a full-featured replacement on
>     Karsten> small/old boxen.
>
> I'm not sure I want all that fancy stuff... not if it makes it too
> bulky.  Okay, c'n'p is a must.  Frames would be nice.  SSL and
> cookies?  Not really that important.  I mean, there *are* already
> browsers that do all that.
>
> Make it lightweight, and if necessary to achieve that, less
> featureful.  But small footprint is important.  (At least until I get
> myself a bigger notebook ;-)

The advantage of adding c'n'p, frames, and ssl support would be that the
browser (205 KB) is tiny, has a small footprint, and would be an
excellent choice for small, underpowered, systems.

This doesn't just include 6 year old 486 systems, but a new class of
portable, embedded, handheld, and "wearable" systems.  Having a
full-featured browser would be a tremendous plus.  This is a design
intent of dillo as I understand.

Peace.