Re: Where do I start looking for one hand typing?

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 02:30:59PM +0200, Danie Roux wrote:
> Just out of curiosity mostly:

answering more the subject line than the content of the message...
you may want to check out the dvorak-l and dvorak-r keyboard layouts.
They are optimized to one handed typing.  Instead of having three rows
of 6-10 keys each (for both hands), it puts all the letters on the
{left,right} side, and the numbers and punctuation and stuff on the
right.  Theory is that you move your hand for the numbers and punct.,
and type full speed with your one hand.  You can see pictures of the
normal dvorak layout as well as the left and right handed ones at
http://www.arlido.com/zijianhuang/kp/dvorakint.html (although the
author's description of how long it will take, as well as his
propogation of the 'designed-to-slow-you-down' myth about qwerty
keyboards are not quite accurate).

> How can I make the shift key "sticky". And can I switch between a sticky
> and non sticky shift in one keystroke?

I would think you would really need this to effectively impliment one of
the one-handed layouts mentioned above.

-ben

<advocacy>p.s. You really should check out the dvorak layout, I type
faster and my wrists hurt less since I switched.  Besides, it's
Cool(tm)!  ;) </advocacy>

p.p.s.  If you want to just try it out, try running 'loadkeys dvorak' at
the console (not in X).  It was installed by default in my debian
system.  To get back to qwerty, run 'loadkeys us'.  I recommend actually
running 'loadkeys us' first, so that it's in your history and you can
run it again by using the up arrow and your history, instead of blindly
hunting for each letter.  Frustrating.

--
Ben Hartshorne	...Discarding smoothly, as we disembark,
ben@hartshorne.net All thoughts that held us wiser for a moment