Re: Sound Won't Work...

"dman" <dsh8290@rit.edu> wrote:

> So does 'lsmod' show the module as loaded?  If not, load it.

An lsmod shows:

  es1370    24196    0    (unused)
  soundcore    2440    4    [es1370]

(I don't know what the "unused" means.)

The Sound HOWTO says that the "No such device" response
to "cat /dev/sndstat" means that "the sound driver is not loaded
or linked into the kernel".

But doesn't the above lsmod output indicate that I DO have a
sound driver module loaded (and "linked"(?))?

> Then what does
>     cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
> do?  It should produce static noise from the speakers.  If that says
> No Such Device, then there are other problems.

I'll try that as soon as I boot up debian.  (I don't have email yet
on debian, so I have to boot my PC up with W95 to email or
read newsgroups).  But I think that I previously did try to cat some
"*.au" file to either /dev/dsp or to /dev/audio (don't remember
which), and I think it
didn't complain, but just did nothing.

> I don't know if you need to specify any options such as IO base or DMA
> channel for that card.

It's a PCI card that seems to be correctly ID'd on bootup, if that
tells you anything.

I've also seen a lot of "esound" stuff in the doc directory on my
system...none of which I specifically asked for.  Could that
be interfering?  I haven't checked yet to see if "esd" is running.

    Mike Fontenot
    mlfasf@home.com