Re: Sound Won't Work...

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 10:57:51AM -0600, Michael Fontenot wrote:
| I've just installed debian 2.2r3, and I've got an Ensonic PCI
| sound card (es1370) that DOES seem to be recognized during
| boot, and does show up in an lsmod (although it says "unused"...
| I don't know what that implies).  The lsmod also shows
| "soundcore ... [es1370]".  I also have all the
| /dev audio-grp device files, and they look OK.  But "cat /dev/sndstat"
| says "No such device" (although the /dev/sndstat device file
| IS present).

With a 2.2 kernel, or a 2.4 kernel without devfs the device files will
be present regardless of whether or not the hardware is.  That is one
nice thing about devfs -- you can see whether or not the hardware is
working just by the presence of the file.

So does 'lsmod' show the module as loaded?  If not, load it.  Then
what does
    cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
do?  It should produce static noise from the speakers.  If that says
No Such Device, then there are other problems.

I don't know if you need to specify any options such as IO base or DMA
channel for that card.

HTH,
-D