Sound Won't Work

I've just installed debian 2.2r3, and I've got an Ensonic PCI
sound card (es1370) that DOES seem to be recognized during
boot, and does show up in an lsmod (although it says "unused"...
I don't know what that implies).  The lsmod also shows
"soundcore ... [es1370]".  I also have all the
/dev audio-grp device files, and they look OK.  But "cat /dev/sndstat"
says "No such device" (although the /dev/sndstat device file
IS present).

The Sound HOWTO says that the "No such device" response
to "cat /dev/sndstat" means that "the sound driver is not loaded
or linked into the kernel".  But doesn't my lsmod output say
otherwise?

During the installation, I didn't install OSS or ALSA...I just wanted
to try to stick to the basics, and the Sound HOWTO says that
my sound card IS supported "by the linux kernel sound driver".
(I don't know if by "the linux kernel sound driver" he means to
include the case where the es1370 driver is installed as a module,
or not.)

Anyone know what's going on here?

    Mike Fontenot
    mlfasf@home.com