Re: [danchev@spnet.net: Weird XFree 4.1.0-6 problem on Sid]

Thus spake Branden Robinson:

> --
> G. Branden Robinson                |    Damnit, we're all going to die;
> Debian GNU/Linux                   |    let's die doing something *useful*!
> branden@debian.org                 |    -- Hal Clement, on comments that
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |       space exploration is dangerous

> From: George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net>
> To: branden@debian.org
> Subject: Weird XFree 4.1.0-6 problem on Sid
>
> Hello there,
>
> Since I've upgraded from XFree 3.3.6. to 4.0.3 and now 4.1.0 I have being
> experienced 2 probs with it no my Debian/Sid. First is if any non-root user
> tries to startx the following happend:
> elemag@debian:~$ startx
> giving up
> xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error.
>
> But if root startx , everything is OK.
> The second problem is :
> debian:~# apt-get -f install
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 532  not upgraded.
> 1 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Setting up xserver-xfree86 (4.1.0-6) ...
> dpkg: error processing xserver-xfree86 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  xserver-xfree86
> debian:~#
>
> Here are the configs and outputs:
>
> debian:/# cat /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/bin/X11/XFree86 -dpi 100  $*
> debian:/#
>
> debian:/etc/X11# cat Xserver
> /usr/bin/X11/XFree86
> #RootOnly
> #Console
> #(anyone whose controlling tty is on the console)
> Anybody
>
> debian:/etc/X11# cat Xsession.options
> allow-failsafe
> allow-user-modmap
> allow-user-resources
> allow-user-xsession
> use-ssh-agent
>
> debian:/etc/X11# cat Xwrapper.config
> allowed_users=console
> nice_value=-10
> debian:/etc/X11#
>
> debian:/etc/X11# dpkg -l |grep xserver
> ii  xserver-common 4.1.0-6        files and utilities common to all X servers
> pi  xserver-common 3.3.6-38       files and utilities common to XFree86 3.x X
> rc  xserver-svga   3.3.6-38       X server for SVGA graphics cards
> iF  xserver-xfree8 4.1.0-6        the XFree86 X server
> debian:/etc/X11#
>
> How can I use  some X wrapper to allow other console users to startx
> successfully?
> Well I do not know how to resolve these problems. dpkg --force=all also
> doesn't help .Hope I was quite informative about the system
> Thank you in advance
>
> --
> [...]

Ok - I'm not sure all of this will work as smoothly as hoped, but first
I'd say fix your installed packages.  dpkg --purge those that are not
installed fully, first backing up the XF86Config files to a different
name.  then dpkg --reconfigure xserver-xfree86-4.1.0-6 (you'll have to
check the full name to get version info)  If that goes smoothly, try the
XFree86 --configure utility to generate a functional configuration, and
see whgat happens.  I think that you also want /etc/X11/Xserver to be
set to 'console' rather than 'anybody' - I think this allows anybody at
the terminal but not remote users.  If it's still failing after these
steps are taken care of, check the xinitrc script - it looks like that's
where your errors are coming from.  You may be able to trace it down
from there.
Good luck,
Steve

--