Debian Mailman broken and undocumented

I downloaded and installed Mailman from Debian from potato stable.
There seems to be no Debian readme for this package.
It's broken, too:  From the  Mailman site I learned to
add a ScriptAlias and Exec lines to httpd.conf (the
latter unacceptable to Apache) and run mailman/bin/newlist.
The newlist command told me to add some lines to /etc/aliases.
All went smoothly:  I could access the page to subscribe myself
and got an email asking me to confirm.  I did, and nothing
happened.

All I found was:
# tail /var/log/exim/mainlog
2001-10-12 15:24:06 15s9mo-0001Yp-00 Neither the system_aliases
director nor the address_pipe transport set a uid for local delivery
of |/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd workbench

I would really appreciate any help with this problem.  Please cc to
gmurray@mines.edu as I am not subscribed.

Thanks,
Glenn Murray
www.mines.edu/~gmurray/public_html/Welcome.html