application menu won't load - more specifics follow

After doing some admin tasks as root, when I restarted windowmaker it
the application menu failed to load, leaving me with xterm, rxvt,
restart and exit as the only options when I right-click in X. The application menu (debian menu) is still present when I use GNOME with
sawfish, though.

    ERROR: The application menu could not be loaded. Look at the
    console output for a detailed description of errors.

Same problem when using windowmaker's lookalikes (blackbox,afterstep)

I kinda miss the application menu in X (good thing the machine that
bungled up ain't connected to the net yet - not a good idea to
bungle up as root online, even for a client machine.)

Any idea what went wrong?

Paolo Alexis Falcone

www.edsamail.com