Re[2]: apt-get dist-update problem

Sunday, October 14, 2001, 2:01:26 PM, dman wrote:

d> On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 01:09:25PM +0200, Søren Neigaard wrote:
d> ...
d> | Oh... Found out that xserver-xfree86 wasn't installed at all!? Strange
d> | huh? I have had X running, so something must have gone badly wrong
d> | during my apt-get dist-install, I wonder what else is missing.

d> Yeah, that could be a problem ;-).  To see what you have installed,

d>     dpkg -l \* | grep "^ii" | less

d> | Ok I installed it, and run X -configure. I do not get any options, it
d> | seems to autodetect everything... At boot gdm trys to start, and the
d> | screen flickers 4-5 times, and I get my normal text login (no X).
d> | Can't I get this good old graphic setup menu I got during install, the
d> | one where I can chose my mouse, keyboard, card and screen (I really
d> | miss it)?

d> I think that graphical config was XF86Setup, or some other similar
d> program.  Those only work with X3, AFAIK.

d> The new (X4) xserver should autodetect everything, but it looks as if
d> it did just as well with your card as with mine.  Try
d>     $EDITOR /etc/X11/XF86Config
d>     $EDITOR /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

d> and make the mode lines, etc, match the original (working) setup.
I don't have nearly as much in XF86Config-4 as I have in XF86Config!?
My XF86Config-4 doesn't have anything about resolution as an example,
nor do I have anything about default depth!? What to do?

d> | If I do a XFree86 -configure I lose my keyboard, and I have to pull
d> | the plug.
d> Odd.  What sort of keyboard?  PS2 or USB?
It's a laptop, and I sometimes also loose it when doing a X
-configure, and sometimes when I lose it, it doesn't help just to
reboot I also have to unplug my mouse and then reboot???

d> | Oh year, and if I try to run startx, I get this: "Fatal server error:
d> | could not open default font 'fixed'"

d>     dpkg -l xfonts\* | less

d> See what font packages you have installed.  You want at least
d> xfonts-base and probably also xfonts-100dpi.  Also check the FontPath
d> lines in the config file and make sure they are correct.  If you are
d> running xfs then you only need the connection to xfs, not any of the
d> others.
Yeah that helped, now I can start X and even login, but my screen is
black and filled with strange pixel dots scattered around!?

Any idea of this?

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards,
 Søren Neigaard mailto:neigaard@e-box.dk