Re[2]: apt-get dist-update problem

Saturday, October 13, 2001, 5:42:09 PM, dman wrote:

d> On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 04:32:19PM +0200, Søren Neigaard wrote:
d> | Saturday, October 13, 2001, 4:08:53 PM, dman wrote:
d> |
| d>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 03:21:54PM +0200, Søren Neigaard wrote:
| d>> | I just did a apt-get dist-update to testing, and it killed my X.
| d>> | Why?
d> |
| d>> Probably because you didn't configure X after the upgrade.
d> |
d> | Ok and how do I do this?

d> When I installed X4 (install, not upgrade) recently debconf asked me a
d> bunch of questions, then generated a config file.  The config file is
d> named /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 by default so that you can have
d> simultaneous X3 and X4 installs.

d> With X4 the config is built-in, you don't need a separate program.
d> Run "X -configure" from a console (you might need the full path to X,
d> I'm not sure) and it will autoprobe and generate the file.  This
d> didn't quite work for me on one machine (el-cheapo SiS6326 card).  I
d> got a config file, but it didn't work.  I manually edited the
d> generated config file to have the same options as my old X3 config
d> file, and everything worked fine.
No matter if I run startx or X -configure, I get: "X: cannot stat
/etc/X11/X (no souch file or directory), aborting"

I guess that's where my problem is.

When I did apt-get, I had some problems with a Danish ftp mirror in
sources.list, but I solved this by using debian.org. Do you think
there could have gone something wrong anyway, and that's why I'm
having problems? And if so, how do I fix it, can I ask apt-get to
reinstall?

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards,
 Søren Neigaard mailto:neigaard@e-box.dk