Re: [DEB] Re: *total* switch of CapsLock and Ctrl

on Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 01:23:22AM -0400, Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 11:01:33PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
>
> > * Eugene Tyurin (eugene_tyurin@yahoo.com) [011011 17:59]:
> > >

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I would like to remap CapsLock and LeftCtrl keys on my system - not
> > > only for X, but also for console system-wide.  Obviously, I have to do
> > > better than .Xmodmap.
> > >
> > > I tried using loadkeys(1) with /usr/share/keymaps/i386/include/ctrl.inc
> > > but it didn't seem to change anything...
> > >
> > > What should I change in my setup?
> >

> X and the console are total separate. I can't help you with X, but on
> every system I install, I swap the caps lock and control keys. You have
> to find the keymap file for your system. On mine, it's
>
> /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz
>
> In that file, find keycodes 29 and 58 and swap them. That is, decompress
> and edit the file so those two keycodes are swapped. Recompress. Then
> you can copy that file to /etc/console-tools/default.kmap.gz.

I use a slightly different strategy.  As you can include files in keymap
files, I include the default, then make the switch.  This makes the
modification more visible.  My own /etc/console-tools/default.kmap.gz
(uncompressed ;-):

# us.map
include "/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz"
# include "us.kmap"
strings as usual

# Swap 29 and 58
#keycode  29 = Control