Re: [DEB] Re: *total* switch of CapsLock and Ctrl

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 11:01:33PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:

> * Eugene Tyurin (eugene_tyurin@yahoo.com) [011011 17:59]:
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to remap CapsLock and LeftCtrl keys on my system - not
> > only for X, but also for console system-wide.  Obviously, I have to do
> > better than .Xmodmap.
> >
> > I tried using loadkeys(1) with /usr/share/keymaps/i386/include/ctrl.inc
> > but it didn't seem to change anything...
> >
> > What should I change in my setup?

X and the console are total separate. I can't help you with X, but on
every system I install, I swap the caps lock and control keys. You have
to find the keymap file for your system. On mine, it's

/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz

In that file, find keycodes 29 and 58 and swap them. That is, decompress
and edit the file so those two keycodes are swapped. Recompress. Then
you can copy that file to /etc/console-tools/default.kmap.gz.

You can run loadkeys in each of your sessions, but I find it easier to
simply reboot.

Paul