Kmail won't retrieve local mailbox w/ file locking on

I'm using Kmail 1.2 and cannot get it to retrieve my local mbox unless I set
it to use no file locking.  If I set it to any other type of locking offered
in the kmail config screen, the mail just sits in my mbox -- I can get to it
through mutt (or by simple cat'ing the file) but not through kmail.

I don't know much about unix file locking, but I don't imagine running with
no file locking on my mailbox is a good idea.

Can anyone offer a solution?

Thanks.

--kurt