Re: Blocking streaming audio and video

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 03:58:17PM +0300, George Karaolides wrote:

| Hi,
|
| This may well be a bit off-topic, but how do I block users on the LAN from
| accessing streaming audio and/or video data from the Internet and filling
| up the Internet line?

The easiest way would be to simply block data on the ports that are
used for the streaming video/audio.  This, however, assumes that no
proxying is being done to use a different port, and that the port
the requests are sent on is always the same and not used for anything
else.  The other option would be to block or restrict heavy traffic.
This will also hurt people who (legitimately) download large files,
for whatever reason.

| I use the ipmasq Debian package to set up masquerading and firewall rules
| between our internal nets and our ISDN dialup Internet connection.

I don't know how the ipmasq package is organized.  I simply wrote my
own shell script to create the firewall rules myself.

-D