Re: routing protocols

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:55:09 +0200, martin f krafft writes:

>RIP, HELLO, OSPF, BGP, EGP, SPREAD
>
>all these are routing protocols. RIP, HELLO, and EGP are
>distance/vector based, OSPF and SPREAD are link-state based, but what
>exactly do these mean? do you have a comprehensive webpage?

(long URL, wrapped)
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/
121cgcr/ip_c/1cdover.htm

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/rip.htm

>HELLO: is similar, right?
>EGP: also similar, but used between networks (out in the wild open
>     internet.
>OSPF: link-state through which each router keeps a directed graph of
>      connections, and which is then parsed with Dijkstra's algorithm
>      to identify shortest routes.

>SPREAD: what is this?
>BGP: what is this?

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/bgp-toc.html
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/bgp.htm

`nough?

cheers,
&rw
--
-- "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley:
-- LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence."