xdm crash

I have lost the ability to use xdm, run level 5, and would like to know how to restore it without reinstalling Debian. I can operate in run level 3 as long as I do not go into graphics.

This is how it all happened. I downloaded some files using Debian and then transferred them to Windows because I wanted to save the files on a CD. After doing this, I tried to go back to Debian and got into run level 2. I then edited /etc/inittab, which had level 5 and changed it to level 3. Going into level 3, I tried to use startx, but got the following.

startx
No such file or directory: cannot stat  /temp/.X11-unix, aborting
_X11 TransSocketUNICConnect: Can't connect: error =111
giving up
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111) : unable to connect to x sever
xinit: No such process (errno 3). Server error

I checked and I do have the command startx at /usr/X11R6/bin/startx.

Any help would be appreciated.