Re: dead/slow mirrors?

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, David Z Maze wrote:

> Jeffrey W Baker <jwbaker@acm.org> writes:
> JWB> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com wrote:
>  g> i use http.us.debian.org in my sources.list, and it's been terribly
>  g> troublesome recently.  apparently one or 2 hosts in that round-robin
>  g> are not responding, so my updates and upgrades always get hung up.  is
>  g> it possible to get these broken hosts out of the list?
> JWB>
> JWB> I was seeing the same thing.  I found a reliable mirror and
> JWB> hard-wired it in /etc/hosts
>
> Eeeew.  I'm all for the "finding a reliable mirror" thing, and I think
> there are tools to help you do that if randomly pinging things off of
> the mirrors list isn't your thing.  Rather than hard-wiring somebody
> else's IP address in /etc/hosts, though, it feels a lot cleaner to me
> to just put the name of your neighborhood mirror in
> /etc/apt/sources.list directly.

Well fair enough.  Any way you choose to do it, the downed server seems to
be 204.152.189.120.  There are the four servers I get from dig:

http.us.debian.org.     336     IN      A       141.213.4.21
http.us.debian.org.     336     IN      A       192.25.206.10
http.us.debian.org.     336     IN      A       35.9.37.225
http.us.debian.org.     336     IN      A       204.152.189.120

There seems to be only one machine for non-us(?).

What does it take to setup a mirror?  I have largely idle bandwidth in an
abovenet colo that would be fine for a debian mirror.

-jwb