Re: Managing tasks through remote access

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 08:30:34PM +0200, Morbo wrote:
> Unfortunatly I have only space for one screen and keyboard. I could use some
> switch, but they usually degrade image quality at high resolution (or cost a
> fortune), so I found it's much more convenient to telnet/ssh into the linux
> machine if I want to use it. I'm also want to try some free X servers for
> Win32 (any suggestions?) so that I could actually log in through X.

What you describe is the configuration recommended by the authors of
VNC.  (Of course, everyone I know who uses VNC has a linux desktop
and runs a VNC server on the Windows box...)

> Is it possible to log in through telnet and ideally also through X into the
> Linux machine, start an ftp client or irc client etc. then close the
> connection again with the started applications continueing to run?

Yup.  If you can just let it run, `nohup somecommand --args &` will
let it keep running even after you log out.  If you want to reconnect
with the task for further interaction at some point in the future,
use screen.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery