Re: Managing tasks through remote access

For an X-server for Windows, the two I use are:

WeirdX - http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/ - This is an open-source 100% Java server, works fairly well (but you need a hefty system to run it)

NetSarang X Manager - http://www.netsarang.com/download/download.html - A really good fast and stable X Server. Unfortunately it's commercial, but there's a thirty day free trial.

You might also want to look into VNC (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/) - it's a very lightweight protocol for controlling pretty much any OS desktop from any other, including web-browser based clients.

	Luke Reeves
	lukelist@oceanlake.com

Morbo wrote:

Hi,

I have two computers at home. On one I'm running Linux, and it is turned on
non-stop. On the other I'm running W$ndows (mainly for games). This one is
only running if I'm doing something on it.
Unfortunatly I have only space for one screen and keyboard. I could use some
switch, but they usually degrade image quality at high resolution (or cost a
fortune), so I found it's much more convenient to telnet/ssh into the linux
machine if I want to use it. I'm also want to try some free X servers for
Win32 (any suggestions?) so that I could actually log in through X.

Now at the same time I tend to start some lenghtly downloads etc. so the
allways on Linux box is ideal for that.

Is it possible to log in through telnet and ideally also through X into the
Linux machine, start an ftp client or irc client etc. then close the
connection again with the started applications continueing to run?

Also if I could do that, could I then log in back again later and find the
applications I left there and interact with them as if I hadn't left? (I
guess this if this is possible at all, it will be more difficult with X.)

Any help is greatly appreciated!
brgds,
Balazs