Re: Managing tasks through remote access

* Morbo (morbo@freemail.hu) spake thusly:
> Hi,
>
> I have two computers at home. On one I'm running Linux, and it is turned on
> non-stop. On the other I'm running W$ndows (mainly for games). This one is
> only running if I'm doing something on it.
> Unfortunatly I have only space for one screen and keyboard. I could use some
> switch, but they usually degrade image quality at high resolution (or cost a
> fortune), so I found it's much more convenient to telnet/ssh into the linux
> machine if I want to use it. I'm also want to try some free X servers for
> Win32 (any suggestions?) so that I could actually log in through X.

Have a look at cygwin. ISTR you can run an X server under it, and
you might even be able to use openssh with X tunneling and all that.

> Is it possible to log in through telnet and ideally also through X into the
> Linux machine, start an ftp client or irc client etc. then close the
> connection again with the started applications continueing to run?

Yes.

> Also if I could do that, could I then log in back again later and find the
> applications I left there and interact with them as if I hadn't left? (I
> guess this if this is possible at all, it will be more difficult with X.)

Yes. Have a look at e.g. screen package.

Dima
--
Surely there is a polite way to say FOAD.                        -- Shmuel Metz
"Go forth and multiply".                                         -- Paul Martin