Re: exim qualify_domain question

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 07:45:08AM +0000, john smith wrote:
> I'm having a bit of a problem. I want all my outgoing emails to pretend to
> come from @hotmail.com (bec. I can't leave it blank since my system's
> hostname won't work; dialup machine) so I set my qualify_domain in exim to
> @hotmail.com. now when I send to other users@other domains no problem.
> however, once I want to send to people @hotmail.com I get "lunknown
> local-part "annk" in domain "hotmail.com". since is because my system thinks
> email's local when in fact it's not.

Look two blocks of comments further down in exim.conf:

# Specify your local domains as a colon-separated list here. If this option
# is not set (i.e. not mentioned in the configuration file), the
# qualify_recipient value is used as the only local domain...

Uncomment local_domains and set it to my.fake.hostname:localhost.

Note that if you send mail to just username or to
username@hotmail.com, this setup will pass the mail to hotmail and it
will need to be retrieved from there before you can read it.  For
mail to be delivered entirely locally (e.g., from a daemon to you as
sysadmin), you'll need to address it to username@localhost or
username@my.fake.hostname.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery