gtk themes

So I just got Debian testing up and running on my brand spankin' new Dell Inspiron 8100 (PIII 866-m 256 MB RAM, Geforce2Go 16 MB), and I've almost worked out all the little bugs. One major one left - I can't get GTK themes to work. Several of them actually change the color of things, but that's really about it. I download the themes, untar them to the right place (with the right permissions, and with ownership to root), and then I try to load them and nothing happens. (This is using the gnome control center). I'm running sawfish, if that helps too.

I'd really really like to use ThinGradient, but I'm stuck with the default, which makes it really hard for me to see if boxes are checked, or figure out radio buttons. I'd really appreciate some help.

-Kurt