Re: BIND, named daemon

> > Debian GNU/Linux 2.2r3
>

> Why do I not get answer from the 'named' daemon?. I think it is not due to
> /etc/hosts.allow or deny options. The bind/README.Debian file does not say
> anything about.

bind 8.2.3
All the configuration files are the default one. Nothing has been changed.
Therefore, bind (named) is using its default /etc/bind/ configuration files.

nslookup
--------

skywalker:~# nslookup localhost
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find localhost: No response from server
skywalker:~#

dlint
-----

skywalker:~# dlint .
;; res_nsend to server default -- 127.0.0.1: Connection timed out
;; dlint version 1.3.3, Copyright (C) 1998 Paul A. Balyoz <pab@domtools.com>
;;     Dlint comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
;;     This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
;;     under certain conditions.  Type 'man dlint' for details.
;; command line: /usr/bin/dlint .
;; flags: normal-domain recursive.
;; run starting: Thu Oct 11 19:38:42 CEST 2001
;; ============================================================
;; Now linting .
;; res_nsend to server default -- 127.0.0.1: Connection timed out
ERROR: no name servers found for domain .
        That domain is probably not a zone.  Remove the leftmost portion of
the
name and try again.
;; ============================================================
;; dlint of . run ending with errors.
;; run ending: Thu Oct 11 19:39:10 CEST 2001
skywalker:~#

dig
-----

skywalker:~# dig @localhost . ns

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @localhost . ns
; (1 server found)
;; res_nsend to server localhost  127.0.0.1: Connection timed out
skywalker:~#

Some configuration files

skywalker:~# cat /etc/hosts.deny
[...]