Re: bootp vs. dhcp

* Chad C. Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net> [2001.10.10 17:00:35-0500]:
> How did I find this information so easily???
>
>     http://google.com/search?DHCP+FAQ
>
> LESSON: Google is your friend!!! ;-) Seriously.

me knows! please also read my other post, last night, i just screwed
up, started panicking because i needed this info, and fell back into
the arms of debian-user, which have never let me down!

> Conclusion: If you need fine grained control of remote booting
> mac address identified machines to load kernels or mount root
> filesystems, bootp was designed for it.  Still, dhcp will work just
> fine in this capacity.  If you're going to use dhcp to dynamically
> allocate any block of addresses on your network, you may as well use
> it to work in place of a bootp server as well.

so bootp is more fine-grained with respect to remote-boot aspects, but
other than that pretty much eclipsed by dhcp (which can do static IPs
too)?

"imagine if every thursday your shoes exploded if you
 tied them the usual way. this happens to us all the time
 with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining."
                                                        -- jeff raskin