bootp vs. dhcp

could someone please explain to me (or provide me with a comprehensive
link) the main difference between bootp and dhcp? i know that bootp is
primarily used for diskless clients and xterms, and that dhcp is
commonly used in company networks to ease administration, but
theoretically, i could use bootp instead of dhcp too, right?
theoretically, bootp can handle it all.

i seem to remember that bootp is inferior though, and that dhcp is
better. why?

thank you very much!

"memory is like an orgasm.
 it's a lot better
 if you don't have to fake it."
                          -- seymour cray commenting on virtual memory

"but virtual memory still gets the job done."
                                                                 -- gr