Re: ethernet card IO address

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 10:16:50PM +0200, MarceI Figuerola Estrada wrote:
| I've tried to load the module that friend Vineet suggested for my
| ethernet card. I did it giving no parameters (io, irq). I got the
| following error:
|
| >/lib/modules /2.2.18pre21/net/via-rhine.o: init module: Device or resource busy.
| >  Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
|
| >/lib/modules /2.2.18pre21/net/via-rhine.o: insmod /lib/modules /2.2.18pre21/net/via-rhine.o failed
|
| >/lib/modules /2.2.18pre21/net/via-rhine.o: insmod via-rhine failed
|
| >Installation failed
|
| So what is the problem? If I'm supposed to introduce the IO and IRQ
| parameters where can I get them from? Can I see it in Windows?

Is it a PCI card or ISA card?  If it is ISA then you need to manually
specify the IRQ and Base IO address.  If it is PCI then I don't know
what the problem is.  Maybe it is related to a BIOS setting "PnP OS"
or something like that.

| Looking at the properties of the card in windows I see the following:
|
| Interrupt request: 11
| Memory range: DE000000 - DE0000FF
| I/O Interval: E000 - E0FF
|
| So I guess IRQ=11 but IO equals to what?

IRQ _could_ be 11, but Linux is free to choose it's own scheme.
'lspci' should give more info.  When in Linux you talk about the "IO"
of the card it is more specifically the "Base IO Address", so that
would be 0xE000.

HTH,
-D