Re: Oops, forgot...

on Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 10:58:57AM -0700, Ben Hartshorne (ben@hartshorne.net) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 10:37:17AM -0700, Royce Bell wrote:
> > Uh...is there a reason why several posts to the list (usually from specific
> > individuals), come with attached text files.  I'm not in the habit of
> > opening ANY attachment, not even from friends I know well, and this is quite
> > disconcerting.
>
> This may be because of one little line I saw in the headers of your
> message:
>
> Outlook Express does not understand the multipart/signed mime
> convention, and so instead of realizing that someone is sending a
> compliant pgp signed message, along with the signature (both as
> attachments with a directive to display them inline), it just shows you
> an empty message with two attachments, one text and one something else
> (the signature).
>
> There are a few solutions.  Send your customer feedback to M$ that you
> would like an email client that conforms to the standard (I think it's
> RFC 1847).

Not sure of OE's failure to deal with mime specifically, but I'd also
mention the following:

RFC 2015 is the standard for MIME Security with Pretty Good Privacy (PGP).

    ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2015.txt

A new standard is proposed, RFC 3156, which addresses some shortcomings
of the former.

    ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3156.txt

> Use Outlook instead of Outlook Express.  Use a non-M$ mail client (I'm
> pretty sure Eudora does the Right Thing(tm)).

I'd also advise the following outlook settings:

    Fixing quoting problems with Microsoft Outlook

    As a large number of people use Microsoft Outlook, ("Outlook is a
    security hole that also happens to be an e-mail client", Steven J.
    Vaughan-Nichols [1]) despite the many security exploits associated
    with the program, to say nothing of its flouting of Internet mail
    standards, I've assembled the following directions to achieve a
    closer conformance with Internet mail standards.  To set linewrap,
    quote character, and non-HTML mail preferences:

	From the "Tools" menu, chose "Options...".

	To set Plain Text as the default format:

	    Click the "Send" tab.  Under "Mail Sending Format", select
	    "Plain Text".

	To wrap lines at 72 characters:

	    While still on that same tab, click the "Plain Text
	    Settings" button to bring up the "Plain Text Settings"
	    dialog. Edit the value of the "Automatically wrap text at __
	    characters, when sending" field to 72.

	To set the prefix character:

	    While still on the "Plain Text Settings" dialog, ensure that
	    the "Indent the original text with __ when replying or
	    forwarding" field is checked, and that "> " is selected in
	    the drop box.  (Both should be so by default.)

    Thanks to Dan Martinez for this information.

    Notes

    1.  Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols "The best way to stop 'ILOVEYOU' is to
	stop using Outlook."  Sm@rt Reseller.
	http://membrane.com/security/secure/Microsoft_Outlook_Express.html

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org