Re: Oops, forgot...

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 10:37:17AM -0700, Royce Bell wrote:
> Uh...is there a reason why several posts to the list (usually from specific
> individuals), come with attached text files.  I'm not in the habit of
> opening ANY attachment, not even from friends I know well, and this is quite
> disconcerting.

This may be because of one little line I saw in the headers of your
message:

Outlook Express does not understand the multipart/signed mime
convention, and so instead of realizing that someone is sending a
compliant pgp signed message, along with the signature (both as
attachments with a directive to display them inline), it just shows you
an empty message with two attachments, one text and one something else
(the signature).

There are a few solutions.  Send your customer feedback to M$ that you
would like an email client that conforms to the standard (I think it's
RFC 1847).  Use Outlook instead of Outlook Express.  Use a non-M$ mail
client (I'm pretty sure Eudora does the Right Thing(tm)).

In most places, this won't be a problem because nobody seems to care
about security over email, and so people, for the most part, do not sign
messages.  And when they do, they use a deprecated method to conform
with the M$ world.  If we begin to see a larger proliferation of email
encryption beyond a few open source geeks, either the standard will be
adopted to conform to M$ or they might produce a compliant client.

-ben

p.s.  This message is not signed so that Royce may read it without fear
of opening an attachment.

--
Ben Hartshorne	...Discarding smoothly, as we disembark,
ben@hartshorne.net All thoughts that held us wiser for a moment