Re: international characters in mutt

* mark@foresthaven.com <mark@foresthaven.com> spake thus:
> On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 04:39:48PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having trouble getting mutt to show Norwegian characters (e.g. ?
> > and ?). The strange thing is that they work all fine on the command line,
> > and if I use more or less to view the mbox-file, they show up as they
> > are supposed to. It is, in other words, only a problem in mutt.
> >
> > I have read man muttrc and fiddled with settings a while, but I have not
> > managed to crack the problem. Normally the characters come up as
> > question marks, but if I put "set charset=iso-8859-1" in my ~/.muttrc I
> > get the the special characters coming up as "\345", which is even worse.
> > Does anybody have any similar experiences, and a solution to it?
> >

> I think I have found a clue about the source of this problem. I
> downloaded the mutt source code and looked at the configure options
> and found this:
>
> --enable-locales-fix
>         on some systems, the result of isprint() can't be used reliably
>         to decide which characters are printable, even if you set the
>         LANG environment variable.  If you set this option, Mutt will
>         assume all characters in the ISO-8859-* range are printable.  If
>         you leave it unset, Mutt will attempt to use isprint() if either
>         of the environment variables LANG, LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE is set,
>         and will revert to the ISO-8859-* range if they aren't.
>
> So, i tried building mutt with this configuration option and found that
> international characters display properly in the internal pager. I then
> built another version without setting this option and the the characters
> did not display properly, just like in the current woody mutt package.
>
> Apparently, the mutt package is not built with this option. I suppose
> the question now is whether it should be built with it or if, instead,
> the library containing isprint ought to be fixed instead.

Thank you for clearing this up Mark, I really appreciate it. I am not
sure whether the "flea" is worth getting the source and compiling it
myslef for, but at least now I know. I think I'll just wait for a
version that can handle my croocked language's special characters, it's
not like I need it much anyway. Probably not more than 0.05% of my email
are from non-english writing people anyway (much because of this list ;)
and I can perfectly understand the ones that I get. It is just a mild
annoyance.

Again, thank you.

Regards,
Stig