Re: ytalk...

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 09:47:06AM -0500, Alexander Wallace wrote:
> I see no etrys for talkd in /etc/inetd.conf, there are lines for talk and
> ntalk,

Yes, I meant those two. Sorry if I was unclear.

> Can you tell me how to know if talkd is running? I know it is installed...
> is there a command to know what deamons are running?

You can tell what processes are running by typing 'ps ax'. However, the
talk daemons won't show up. This is because they're run from inetd,
which is a "super-server" that relieves simple daemons from having to
worry about the fiddly details of talking to the network themselves; it
listens on their behalf and launches them as necessary.

The only way you can tell what inetd is listening for is to look in
/etc/inetd.conf, and indeed there are services there that you might want
to turn off if you're directly connected to the Internet.

Cheers,