Re: Why is my machine sudenly trying to do dhcp?

* Raghavendra Bhat (ragu@vsnl.com) [011008 08:43]:
> [Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 10:41:11AM -0400] Stan Brown :
>
> > Now the machine tries to do dhcp! Which I don't wnat.
> >
> > Where can I turn this off?
>
> Either  do  a 'dpkg  --purge  dhcp/dhcp-client/dhcpcd'  or better  still
> remove instances  of the  dhcp symlink from  all run-levels by  doing an
> 'update-rc.d -f dhcp remove'.

Actually, I'd say the first way would be better. Why have dhcpcd on the
machine if you're not going to use it?

In any case, whenever you do decide to keep a package around but don't
want it to start up automatically, it's best not to remove all of its
rc?.d symlinks. If you remove them all, the packaging system will think
it's unconfigured and will replace them next time it upgrades the
package. If you leave even one symlink in one rc?.d directory, then it
knows that the package was installed but you customized its rc symlinks
(which are marked as config files and are left alone).

You'll notice that update-rc.d fails with an error if you try to remove
all the symlinks while the initscript still exists in init.d; I imagine
it's for just that reason. You can either manually remove all the
symlinks but one, or issue 'update-rc.d stop 20 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 . ' to
change its status to stop in all runlevels.

But still, I'd recommend just removing the package if you're not going
to be using it. Do remember to change your interfaces file to use static
information as previously posted.

good times,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.