Re: Takin' the plunge...

See also: http://www.libranet.com/faq.html

> Are there benefits to the Debian distro directly, and what are they?

Possible reduction in the number of package conflicts, packages being
the binary tarball of software with its installation scripts and docs.
Take a look at the following URL to find out what the release version
of Libranet has included:

    http://www.libranet.com/buy.html

Looks like they're offering an optional StarOffice CD for $7.  They're
not making much on it for that price.  Libranet is based on the 2.2r3
release of Debian, or the current "testing" branch, a good thing.

Honestly, I use the standard Debian install, but I'm comfortable with
the packaging system and know how to find what I need. (See also:
apt-cache(8), apt-get(8), dpkg(8), dselect(8), aptitude(1))

> Also, I'm not sure I am understanding some terms you guys are using
> that seem to me to be synonymous, eg. windowsmanager and shell, etc.

The following were retrieved with the dict(1) application (found in
the 'dict' package).

The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (13 Mar 01) [foldoc]:

  shell

     1. <operating system> (Originally from {Multics}, widely
     propagated via {Unix}) The {command interpreter} used to pass
     commands to an {operating system}; so called because it is the
     part of the operating system that interfaces with the outside
     world.

     The commonest Unix shells are the c shell ({csh}) and the
     Bourne shell ({sh}).

(IOW: command line interface)

The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (13 Mar 01) [foldoc]:

  window manager

     <operating system> A part of a {window system} which arranges
     windows on a screen.  It is responsible for moving and resizing
     windows, and other such functions common to all applications.

     Examples from the {X Window System} are {twm}, {gwm}, {olwm}.

(IOW: gui interface)

> One other thought: I am leaning toward doing the GNU/Linux install
> on two machines, concurrently.  One as the productivity machine, and
> the other to make parallel installs AND configuration changes or new
> installs before they go on the productivity machine,

Always a good idea if you're the careful type.  Good luck!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD