C locale and error messages

If I open an rxvt window or xterm, which for me defaults to LANG=C,
and do

	echo < foo

instead of getting

	bash: foo: No such file or directory

I get

	bash: foo: ??????????????????????

If I set LANG to en_GB, it doesn't help.  If I set LC_MESSAGES to
en_GB, I then get the proper error message.  If I then unset
LC_MESSAGES, I continue to get a proper error message (so maybe a
caching issue?)

At the Linux console, I get a proper error message regardless.

What is going on here?  I'm using Debian unstable, but this issue has
existed for a long time and is started to annoy me.

Thanks,

Neil.

FWIW a typical "env" when getting the '?' is as follows:

PWD=/home/neil
COLORFGBG=15;0
WINDOWID=35651586
PAGER=jless
HOSTNAME=monkey
LESSCLOSE=/usr/bin/lesspipe '%s' '%s'
LESSOPEN=| /usr/bin/lesspipe '%s'
LV=-Or
LESS=-M
USER=neil
MACHTYPE=i386-pc-linux-gnu
XMODIFIERS=@im=kinput2
EDITOR=vi
LANG=C
COLORTERM=rxvt
DISPLAY=:0.0
SSH_AGENT_PID=9701
SHLVL=1
LOGNAME=neil
PERL_BADLANG=0
SHELL=/bin/bash
HOSTTYPE=i386
OSTYPE=linux-gnu
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-XX0QUFpi/agent.9667
TERM=rxvt
HOME=/home/neil
PATH=/home/neil/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
JLESSCHARSET=latin1
OUTPUT_CHARSET=ISO8859-1
_=/usr/bin/env