almost (but not quite) have alsa working

I'm a recent convert to Debian, having come from a Windows world.  I've set
up my box with Woody and KDE and have it all operational except sound.

I'm trying to use alsa and so far, I've been able to get and compile the
alsa-source, use alsaconf to configure my sound card (onboard sound using the
cs4236 chipset) and modprobe to install the appropriate modules in the
kernel.  However, I still have no sound.

I also get an error when trying to use alsaconf:

Starting ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.0beta4): no sound cards defined.
Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system.
Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
not detected correctly.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on things to try?

--kurt