Soundcard with OPTi82C933

I have an old ISA-soundcard with an OPTi 82C933-Chip on it, in a
system with a 2.4.X-kernel with pnp enabled and it finds the card as

  Card 1 'OPT0931:OPTi Audio 16' PnP version 1.0

but the device is not active. This is because /etc/init.d/isapnp does
not execute isapnp if /proc/isapnp is there. If I execute it by hand,
the devices gets active:

  Logical device 1 'OPT9310:OPTi Audio 16'
    Device is active
    Active port 0x534,0x380,0x220,0xe0c
    Active IRQ 5 [0x2]
    Active DMA 0,1

/etc/init.d/isapnp says: 'kernel 2.3.x and latter handle Pnp directly'
so how is it intended to work?

'modprobe mad16 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=0' does fail with

 No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones
 invalid codec port 534

what has to be done to get this soundcard to work?

"Des is völlig wurscht, was heut beschlos- | M G Berberich
 sen wird: I bin sowieso dagegn!"          | berberic@fmi.uni-passau.de
(SPD-Stadtrat Kurt Schindler; Regensburg)  | www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~berberic