Fonts gone in Mozilla

Hi All-

I just upgraded another potato to woody and
ran across this weirdness.

Mozilla will not display any characters in the
rendered-page area.  All Mozilla menus,
buttons, labels, etc. are fine.  But no characters
from HTML pages show up.  Instead, I get
mostly dashed-rectangular boxes but some
slashes and dots also.  I have changed font
sizes and tried various pages.  Neither the
X server nor Mozilla complain about missing
fonts.  No font complaints in any of the system
logs, either.

Any suggestions on where to start hunting
down the problem?

TIA,
  -=greg